Tuesday, June 06, 2006

thanks to sappho

"In Germany, they came first for the Communists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Trade Unionist. Then they came for the Catholics, but I didn't speak up because I was Protestant. Then they came for me, and by that time there was no one left to speak for me."---Martin Niemoeller
thanks to sappho- at sappho manifesto



2 comments:

billie said...

my question is why do we have to? i completely agreed with going to afghanistan to hunt for osama- and if we were still focused on that today- i would not have a problem. we should not still be using the 'manifest destiny' motto as our guide. not everywhere on the planet wants our type of government- and we learned that in korea and vietnam- and now in the middle east. you can export capitalism- not our way of life. and who gets to choose what is good and evil? us? on what basis? the muslims believe in the same god that this country supposedly does- and they think that we are the evil ones. why do we get to decide that we must fight evil- because we have a stronger military? you can't win people over with guns. you have to win over their hearts and minds. you can't do that with force.

Mike K said...

That piece always chilled me. It really makes you think about a person's role in society. I'm thankful that we have the internet to share our ideas and organize around issues. Perhaps we can prevent our country from going down such an awful path. Although sometimes, I doubt if it is enough.