Sunday, December 24, 2006

twas the night before christmas...


How the Liberals Stole Christmas (or) A Visit From St Dick

By Kevin Horrigan
St Louis Post Dispatch
Twas the month before Christmas
And as I lit candles,
Conservatives Stirred -
They were onto a scandal.
"They want to kill Christmas!"
Came the cry from the right:
"They want to axe Bethlehem
And O! Holy Night!
"They're after the Christ child
And Joseph and Mary
And shepherds and wise men;
These liberals are scary."
Who? I said. Who
Is behind these cruel plots?
"Well, we're not really sure,
But we heard it on Fox."
"Fox fair and balanced;
Esteemed, and most highly.
We're not really sure-
It was prob'ly O'Reilly."
So I grabbed the remote
And clicked over to Fox
And there snarled O'Reilly.
(Imagine my shock):
"The liberals, the commies,
The A.C.L.U.
They want to steal Christmas
From me and from you.
They say 'Happy Holidays'
And acknowledge the Jews
By throwing in Hannukah."
I was really confused.
"And what's this with Kwanzaa?"
The O'Reilly elf said.
"Some guy made it up,
Made it up from whole cloth.
And somewhere the pagans
Are worshipping trees
And Muslims turn eastward
On rugs on their knees."
"The Democrats did it,"
He said with a roar.
"It was Kerry and Biden
And Clinton and Gore."
And then with a smirk
He fired heavy artillery
"If you want my opinion,
I bet it was Hillary."
I sat there in silence,
Stunned in my jammies.
My pulse was just racing
My hands were all clammy.
Who can save Christmas
From plots so barbaric
That turn Jesus' birthday
To a season generic?
What will happen to Christmas?
Should I recycle my creche?
And toss out John's gospel
'Bout Word become flesh?
Should I toss out the angels?
They could get me arrested
I was, lo, sore afraid
And my sould greatly tested.
Who will save Christmas?
George W. Bush?
Who will save Christmas
When shove comes to push?
Who could call the Marines
But they've all been assigned.
This disaster needs FEMA.
Oh...never mind.
Then I heard a weird jingling
From somewhere in back
And grabbed for the pistol
I'm licensed to pack.
I pulled back the slide
And quick chambered a round
And yelled out "Freeze dirtbag"
Don't dare make a sound!"
The guy, he was balding
And wore a blue suit.
He was driving a pickup
That said "Brown & Root."
His eyes they were squinting,
His voice, slightly nervous
Said, "Richard B. Cheney.
I'm here, at your service."
I was stunned at the sight
Of the man who's the veep.
And I thought I was dreaming,
In some weird right-wing sleep.
I heard him cough softly
Then say, "It's not fiction.
"First Comet is venison.
"And next I'll shoot Vixen."
"I killed off the reindeer,"
He softly exhaled.
"And I sent Santa off
To a black CIA jail.
This secular nonsense,
We'll end it, right quick.
I've got other priorities
Or my name's not St. Dick."
He said, "Christmas's really
Just all about loot
You can stuff in your bag
And then dis-t'-ri-bute
To friends and to donors
And pals who are cronies,
It's not about children
Or Democrat phonies.
"The trick that I've learned,"
St. Dick said like a Scrooge,
"Is avoiding the blame.
Instead, get you a stooge,
So the stooge takes the heat
As you make dead certain
That the goodies pile up
Inside Halliburton."
"So we'll blame it on liberals,
And commies and gays.
We'll blame it on Democrats
And folks who don't pray."
We've got Bill O'Reilly
To stir up the base
While we haul all our loot
To an undisclosed place."
Then he turned with a wink,
Jumped back into his pickup.
He nodded his head
And then said with a hiccup:
"I'll tell you one thing
Gives me great satisfaction:
'The liberals stole Christmas'
Is a dandy distraction."

thanks to eaprez at details



to see the clement clarke moore version- head over to betmo's corner

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am enjoying this new version! I may have to "borrow" it for my blog too.

; )

The Future Was Yesterday said...

I kept waiting and waiting and waiting for him to blow St. Dickhead away...(:

Good one Betmo, and Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, or what the hell ever you want!:)

jams o donnell said...

Very good Betmo! We have had the war on xmas rubbish over here too. It would be funy if people didn't believe it

Spadoman said...

Hey Batmo. There is a surprise for you at the Round Circle

Ze Jaded Flab

The flab that you earned by eating too many French fries.

From the word verification: zjdfb

Undeniable Liberal said...

Happy winter solstice celebration to you and yours....Peace on earth.

Obob said...

Merry Christmas you wacky kids, I hope the coal planted by the CIA/NSA/FBI/KGB/GRU/MADD/AAA/NEA/WTO/RNC is switched with the presents you deserve by Santa before you wake up ;)

Donnie McDaniel said...

Hope you enjoy the holidays Betmo.

catnapping said...

omg. lol.

I hope yours was a merry Merry, and a cool Yule.

love,
cat