Sunday, June 04, 2006

what i love about america

truth-pain challenged me to think about what is good about america(in spite of all of the issues we talk about) by writing his own list and urging people to enjoy life and take a break from the hassles once in awhile. in the spirit of that- and that it is the weekend- here's my light-hearted list of what i love about america(will resume fighting the world next week):

1. the abundance of everything. i want an ice cream on a summer afternoon and i can walk or drive close by to have one.
2. the ability to speak my mind and have an opinion of my own in freedom- as a woman
3. the freedom to travel when and where i want anywhere in the country
4. clean, running water, utilities, garbage pickup
5. room to live- unless you live in a city- there is plenty of room. my apartment is 6 rooms- and only my husband, me and the 2 cats live in it.
6. compulsory education- while i disagree with how it is implemented- most of our citizens can read and write.
7. technology- we have access to phone, internet, satellites, etc- medical equipment, etc.
8. differences in culture, beliefs, interests, etc that come from other places and settle here.
9. the land itself- there is natural and man-made beauty here that is different than anywhere else in the world.

10. the constitution. this document safeguards all of what america is and what it has stood for- for 230 years(as tp has pointed out)- and hopefully will continue to stand for for another 230 years.

5 comments:

Author said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
billie said...

i got spammed yet again- so i removed it.

Dardin Soto said...

Great list! Thanks for the uplift,.. the ice cream part was my kiddo's favorite as she read the list with me :)
Great posting about Iraq btw.
I'm off the the boardwalk for the day. Happy Sunday !!

Spadoman said...

Sorry to rain on your parade Betmo, but these wonderful things of which you speak are not readily available to all Americans. If your Black and live in the ghetto, it's kinda hard to find ice cream let alone an ice cube, (unless it's on someones boom box). Travel is out of the question when you have no money for the Greyhound and no car.

I'm sure you weren't trying to brag about your own abundance as others suffer, but it deserves a mention that there are many Americans less fortunate than ourselves.

Homeless Veterans in the streets, people out of work and therefore money because of the color of the skin, socio-economic profiling by police 'cause if your poor, you may take a drastic measure to feed your children.

Sorry to say it's all too real in America. I am blessed with the wonderful things you mention. I fail to remember those I just remembered often enough.

Frank Zappa once said, "I ain't Black, but sometimes I wish I wasn't White."

billie said...

thanks for another perspective spadoman. i think that we do get caught up in our own lives so much that it is easy to forget that what you say is true.