Monday, April 27, 2015

musings of a white woman in america on a cloudy day...

i spend quite a bit of my time online reading and taking in other folks' thoughts and opinions...i have since i opened up to the internet almost 10 years ago....i have learned quite a bit about human nature and american culture that's for sure...

i am white...i can slice my ancestry anyway i want but i am white....i have never personally traced my ancestry- i only have anecdotal information about my heritage from my parents...but i feel the connection to the people who lived before me...i see my parents in me- from movements i make that i mimicked from them to the way i perceive the world...and i often wonder if other folks in my family tree did the same things...my parents learned it from somewhere...

i say that to say this- white folks may or may not want to have discussions about race but we really need to....this country was founded, as it stands today, by white people and the deck has always been stacked in whites' favor...white males, in particular...most do not want to see that...

so, i undertook to start learning a bit more about what poc think about certain topics...i keep tabs on the idle no more movement and i have 'the root' in my facebook feed for starters....and i read more real history....and i am on a different journey now...

i have never really felt a part of mainstream culture in this country...i am not really sure that there is one reason i could point to as to why...upbringing for sure...socioeconomic background....and while i will never feel the discrimination as a person of color or an lgbt person or non christian feels- i do know what it's like to be poor here....i cannot imagine having the other layers of bigotry on top of me...

just musings....

No comments: